This is one of our most popular salads and always on high rotation in my house during the warmer months. It is perfectly balanced with wholegrains and plant protein and can be enjoyed as a meal or a side. The fresh citrusy dressing, pomegranates seeds, herbs and dukkha offer a flavour explosion you’ll want again and again.
Prep time: 5 minutes. Cook time: 40-45 minutes
2/3 cups (130g) wild rice or mixed rice
6 eggs (optional)
½ cup dukkha
1 cup baby mint leaves
1 cup baby coriander leaves
2 cups (60g) baby rocket leaves
½ cup (40g) toasted flaked almonds
¼ cup (35g) pomegranate seeds
¼ cup (35g) dried cranberries
1 x 400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 orange, rind finely grated and juiced
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1. Place rice in a medium saucepan of boiling water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to medium and cook for 40-45 minutes or until tender. Drain.
2. Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil. Add eggs and simmer for 6 minutes for soft-boiled eggs. Drain and stand in cold water. Crack shells and gently peel. Place dukkha on a plate and roll the eggs in the dukkha. Set aside.
3. Place rice, mint, coriander, rocket, almonds, pomegranate, cranberries and chickpeas in a large bowl and toss to combine. Place in a large bowl.
4. To make the orange dressing place the orange rind and juice, vinegar, oil, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
5. Drizzle the salad with dressing. Halve the eggs and place on top of the salad. Sprinkle with extra dukkha to serve.
Recipe inspiration by ‘Australian Eggs’.